Most of the applied valve train analysis tools are based on in-house developed software packages, specifically tailored for the most common valve train designs. In parallel, when complex 3D arrangements are used, HERON has the license for the well-known CDS™ program.
This technology must be seen as a useful complement to the 1D gas exchange optimisation when new valve timings and subsequently new valve lift curves are requested.
The HERON Approach:
· Definition of the valve timings and maximum lift height by 1D cycle simulation work
· Creation of high sophisticated bi-spline based valve lift curve
· Control and check constrains from the valve train design in terms of stress
· Definition of the spring characteristic
· Check for valve-piston clearances
· Calculation of the forces, stress, and grinding coordinates
Common valve train designs:
· Flat tapped
· Rocker arm
· Finger follower
· Push rod